Friday, February 16, 2007

Andrea Palladio

For over a decade, I have lusted after Bruce Boucher's Andrea Palladio: The Architect in His Time. This is a big wonderful book on one of the most inspiring architects of all time. The $95.00 list price for the hardcover was prohibitively high, although a softcover is available for much less (see link below). But a book like this deserves hardcover, and I was quite pleasantly surprised this week to find it in a library bookshop for $6.00. Yes, it's ex library, but the stamping, etc, are minimal, and the book is in wonderful shape.

The Renaissance architecture of Palladio was a prime inspiration for Thomas Jefferson's design for Monticello. My wife and I visited Monticello some years ago, and it was a dream come true to visit my favorite American house and find that it more than lived up to it's reputation. Palladio made it all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment